About Aalborg University and the American Fellowships
Aalborg University is a Danish university with campuses in Aalborg, Esbjerg, and Copenhagen. It’s one of Denmark’s largest institutions of higher education and has a rich history. The American Fellowships program, established in 1888, is the oldest non-institutional source of graduate funding for women in the United States and is the largest fellowship program offered by AAUW (American Association of University Women).
AAUW American Fellowships provide financial support to female scholars for eight weeks to work on their dissertations, postdoctoral research projects, or the preparation of publications. These fellowships are available to American citizens or lawful residents and are awarded based on the quality and uniqueness of the project, the candidate’s commitment to serving women and girls in their communities or fields of study, and other criteria.
The fellowships are divided into the following categories:
- Dissertation Fellowship: Designed to support scholars in covering their living expenses while completing their dissertations. Applicants must have completed all required coursework, passed prerequisite exams, and have their research plans or proposals approved by the previous November. Candidates should be in the final year of dissertation writing.
- Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship: Aims to increase the representation of women in tenure-track teaching positions and promote gender equity in higher education. This fellowship provides a year of independent research to help applicants achieve tenure and further career advancement.
- Short-Term Research Publication Grant: Assists scholars in preparing research publications for publication. Priority is given to candidates whose work aligns with AAUW’s mission to remove economic and educational barriers for women. This grant provides eight weeks for final writing and editing to address concerns raised during the review process.
Details about Aalborg University American Fellowships:
- Scholarship Sponsor: AAUW (American Association of University Women)
- Scholarship Value:
- Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship: $50,000
- Dissertation Fellowship: $25,000
- Short-Term Research Publication Grant: $8,000
- Number of Awards: Several
- Study Level: Fellowships
- Host Institution(s): Aalborg University
Eligibility Criteria for Aalborg University American Fellowships
Applicants for all American Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Previous recipients of any national fellowship or grant offered by AAUW (except branch or local awards and Community Action Grants) are ineligible.
- Current AAUW interns and members of the AAUW Board of Directors, committees, panels, task forces, and staff are ineligible to apply for fellowships and grants.
- Applicants must be American citizens or lawful permanent residents.
- Women from all fields of study at accredited institutions of higher education, including self-identifying women, are eligible.
- Applicants cannot apply for another national fellowship or award from AAUW in the same year.
- Online or distance learning courses are not supported by these fellowships. AAUW reserves the right to define what constitutes distance learning.
Additional eligibility criteria for each fellowship category are outlined in the application guidelines.
Application Process for Aalborg University American Fellowships To apply for Aalborg University American Fellowships, follow these steps:
- Begin the application process by visiting the AAUW application portal.
- Complete all required tabs, including Start, Background, Proposal, and Recommendations, Documents & Review.
- Submit three letters of recommendation from mentors, peers, or individuals familiar with your work.
- Ensure you provide all required documents, including transcripts and degree verification.
For detailed information and application guidelines, you can visit the official AAUW fellowship page.
Submission Deadline: November 1, 2023
Please note that these fellowships have specific eligibility criteria and requirements, so applicants should carefully review the guidelines and instructions provided by AAUW on their official website.
Note: This is a summarized version of the scholarship details. Applicants are strongly encouraged to visit the official AAUW website for comprehensive information and application instructions.