About the Scholarship:
The Government of Canada, as the governing body of the country, plays a pivotal role in various domains. It encompasses the administrative, judicial, and legislative branches, embodying the Crown’s authority as the Crown-in-Council, Crown in Parliament, and Crown on the Bench. The Canadian government’s influence extends across these realms.
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program, launched by the Canadian government in 2008, aims to enhance Canada’s capacity to attract and retain top-tier Ph.D. students while positioning the nation as a global hub for research and higher education excellence. Vanier Scholars exhibit exceptional intellectual abilities and leadership qualities during their pursuit of doctoral degrees in social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering, or health.
Details about Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships:
- Scholarship Sponsor: Government of Canada
- Scholarship Value: $50,000 per year
- Number of Awards: Several
- Study Level: Postgraduate, Ph.D.
- Host Institution(s): Government of Canada
Eligibility Criteria for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships:
To be eligible for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have a Vanier CGS quota.
- Currently pursuing their first doctoral degree (including joint programs like MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., or JD/Ph.D., MBA/Ph.D. with a substantial research component).
- Intend to undertake full-time doctoral studies and research at the nominating institution during the upcoming academic year or summer semester following the release of results. For collaborative graduate programs, funding is only available for the Ph.D. component.
- Must not have completed more than 20 months of full-time Ph.D. studies as of May 1, 2024.
- Must not have completed more than 32 months of full-time coursework in their doctoral program by May 1, 2024, except for those enrolled in joint graduate research programs (e.g., MD/Ph.D., MA/Ph.D., MS/Ph.D., and DVM/Ph.D.).
- Must have completed the previous two years of full-time study with a first-class average or its equivalent, as determined by the nominating institution.
Application Process for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships:
To apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, applicants should follow these steps:
- Review the Selection Committee Guide before starting the application. This guide outlines the three assessment criteria and provides valuable information on the evaluation process.
- Visit the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion page for further information.
- Prepare the required application documents, including an Application for ResearchNet, CCV (limited entries), Contributions to research, Personal leadership statement, Special conditions (optional), two leadership reference letters, research proposal, and transcripts.
- Submit your application through the official website.
Submission Deadline: November 1, 2023