About the Scholarship:
The Rhodes Trust Scholarships are a prestigious postgraduate scholarship program that supports exceptional students from around the world in studying at the University of Oxford. Each year, over 90 Rhodes Scholars are selected from 20 Rhodes constituencies (representing 64 nations) worldwide. These scholars are chosen based on their outstanding academic achievements, diverse backgrounds, and potential to become future civic-minded leaders.
The Rhodes Trust Scholarships cover full-time postgraduate degrees, including the BA with senior status over two years, at the University of Oxford. The scholarship can be extended for a third year for individuals pursuing a recognized path to the DPhil, subject to satisfactory academic performance and behavior. The MBA and MFE programs are only eligible for the second year of the scholarship.
Applicants for the Rhodes Trust Scholarships must meet the following qualifying requirements:
- Citizenship & Residency: Applicants must meet the citizenship/residency requirements of one of the Rhodes Africa constituencies, including countries like Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Zambia, Ivory Coast, Kenya, and others as specified in the official documentation.
- Age: Applicants must be at least 18 years old and not yet 24 years old as of October 1 of the application year. There may be variations in the maximum age limit across constituencies, so applicants should carefully review the age restrictions for their specific constituency.
- Education: Before attending Oxford, Rhodes Scholars must have completed a Bachelor’s degree to a level of excellence that meets both the Rhodes and Oxford requirements. Some constituencies may require applicants to complete their undergraduate degree in the year they apply for the scholarship.
Interview Date, Process, and Venue:
Rhodes Selection Committees seek exceptional young individuals from around the world who demonstrate qualities such as intellectual excellence, character, leadership potential, and a commitment to service. Four key factors determine the selection of Rhodes Scholars:
- Literary and intellectual accomplishments (academic excellence).
- Demonstrated drive to maximize one’s abilities, including proficiency in extracurricular activities, particularly those requiring teamwork.
- Personal qualities such as honesty, tenacity, compassion, and concern for others.
- Moral character, leadership qualities, and a genuine commitment to the welfare of others.
To apply for the Rhodes Trust Scholarships and learn about specific application requirements for each constituency, visit the Rhodes Trust website. Each constituency may have slightly different requirements, but in general, the following items are required:
- Evidence of undergraduate and any postgraduate degrees, including transcripts and academic records.
- Resume, curriculum vitae, or list of top priorities.
- A clear statement of what the candidate wishes to study at Oxford and why, typically included in a personal statement or essay.
- Passport, birth certificate, or other proof of age.
- English language proficiency when English is not the native language.
- List of referees who can attest to the applicant’s moral integrity, intellectual ability, academic achievements, extracurricular involvement, and leadership qualities (family members and close friends should not be included as referees).
For more information, please visit the Rhodes Trust website.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2023.