About the BIGS-DR Doctoral Scholarship Program:
The BIGS-DR Doctoral Scholarship is one of the methods through which applicants can fund their education. This internal scholarship program is funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) through its EPOS program, which supports development-related postgraduate courses. Annually, the application deadline for internal scholarships falls on August 31st.
Candidates from underdeveloped nations or emerging economies have the opportunity to apply directly for a DAAD EPOS scholarship through ZEF (Center for Development Research). These scholarships support doctoral studies at the Bonn International Graduate School for Development Research (BIGS-DR). BIGS-DR is part of the graduate framework at the University of Bonn, which upholds the highest standards of academic excellence in its international graduate programs.
About the University of Bonn:
The Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn, commonly known as the University of Bonn, is a public research university located in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It was established in 1818 and has a rich history of academic excellence. The University of Bonn is renowned for its research-intensive programs and is a member of the German U15 organization of significant research institutions. It has been designated a “University of Excellence” under the German Excellence Initiative.
The university hosts several Clusters of Excellence, including the Hausdorff Center for Mathematics, the Matter and Light for Quantum Computing cluster, the Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies, PhenoRob: Research for the Future of Crop Production, the Immune Sensory System cluster, and ECONtribute: Markets and Public Policy. These clusters highlight the university’s strong research capabilities.
Benefits of BIGS-DR Doctoral Scholarship:
The BIGS-DR Doctoral Scholarship covers all expenses related to the 24-month program, including:
- A monthly stipend.
- Housing bills.
- Tuition fees.
- Health insurance.
- Travel expenses.
- German language classes.
Eligibility for BIGS-DR Doctoral Scholarship:
To be eligible for the BIGS-DR Doctoral Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum of two years of relevant professional experience.
- Be new to Germany or have moved to Germany within the last 15 months (not longer).
- Select “Scholarship for a postgraduate course with relevance to developing countries” on the DAAD application.
- Submit one copy of each of the DAAD scholarship applications and the application for the BIGS-DR program to BIGS-DR. No additional copies should be sent to DAAD.
How to Apply:
To apply for the BIGS-DR Doctoral Scholarship, follow these steps:
- Download the DAAD application form from the official website, DAAD main page, German embassies, or DAAD offices worldwide.
- Refer to the application guidelines and the list of required application documents available here.
- Visit the University of Bonn website for more information on the BIGS-DR doctoral scholarship.
The application deadline for the BIGS-DR Doctoral Scholarship is August 31, 2023.
Applicants are encouraged to review the official website and application guidelines for detailed information and specific application procedures.