About the Scholarship:
The University of Manchester invites outstanding and exceptional candidates to apply for the Equity and Merit Scholarships for International Master’s candidates. These scholarships aim to support academically outstanding students who can make a significant contribution to sustainable development in their home countries. The recipients of these scholarships are individuals who would not be able to afford their studies at the University of Manchester without financial assistance. The university is committed to providing equal opportunities, and each application is evaluated on its own merits. They particularly encourage women to apply.
About the University of Manchester:
Located in Manchester, England, the University of Manchester is a public research institution with its main campus situated on Oxford Road, just south of Manchester City Centre. The university owns and operates major cultural institutions, including the Manchester Museum, The Whitworth Art Gallery, The John Rylands Library, The Tabley House Collection, and The Jodrell Bank Observatory, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The University of Manchester is known as a red-brick institution, a result of the civic university movement in the late 19th century. In 2004, the University of Manchester was formed through the merger of the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) and the Victoria University of Manchester. This merger occurred after a century of close collaboration between the two institutions.
The University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology was inspired by the Mechanics’ Institute, established in 1824. On the same day, the Royal School of Medicine and Surgery, a precursor institution of the Victoria University of Manchester, was founded. The current University of Manchester recognizes this date as its official founding year, as reflected in its crest and emblem.
Benefits of Equity and Merit Scholarships:
The Equity and Merit Scholarships aim to equip young professionals from the Global South with the tools they need to contribute to the achievement of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). There are two categories of scholarships:
- One-year, full-time master’s program on campus.
- Part-time, online master’s degree (three to five years). A total of 39 scholarships are offered for various programs in engineering, the environment, health sciences, development, education, textiles, and law. Of these, 29 are for full-time study, and ten are for online study. Eligible applicants come from Ethiopia, Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zimbabwe. The scholarships cover return international flights, living expenses, visas for students studying in Manchester, and the full cost of tuition.
To be considered for Equity and Merit Scholarships for International Master’s Students, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be residents of one of the following countries: Ethiopia, Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, or Zimbabwe, and have never previously studied outside of Africa (short-term training does not count).
- Candidates should have a minimum of two years of relevant professional experience (excluding unpaid internships or volunteer work).
- A bachelor’s degree obtained before September 2021 with a good overall grade is required. Academic excellence is expected, typically placing candidates in the top 10% of their class.
- Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to returning home and positively influencing the future of their nation.
- Candidates should be able to articulate how attending the University of Manchester will advance their careers and contribute to the greater good.
Applications for Equity and Merit Scholarships for International Master’s Students must be submitted online, starting from August 1, 2023, for enrollment in September 2024. The university will contact all applicants as soon as they have completed the shortlisting process for admission in 2023. Stay updated through the university website here.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2023