About American College Of Surgeons and Fellowship
The American College of Surgeons is dedicated to improving surgical patient care and upholding industry standards of care in a top-notch and morally practicing environment.
The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) is delighted to offer travel awards to surgeons between the ages of 30 and 50. These awards, valued at $4,000 each, provide international surgeons with the opportunity to attend and participate in all educational sessions of the ACS annual Clinical Congress. They are particularly intended to support surgeons working in local or regional hospitals or clinics outside of North America, as well as those from underfunded university surgical departments.
A new Community Surgeon Travel Award has been generously funded by the Doctors Duremdes family, specifically for Filipino surgeons. Priority is given to meritorious applicants from rural regions, Panay Island, and the Philippine province of Iloilo.
Each award includes complimentary registration for the annual Clinical Congress and one postgraduate course of the winner’s choice that is presented in conjunction with the Clinical Congress. Assistance in finding affordable accommodation in the host city of the Clinical Congress will also be provided.
Details about Community Surgeons Travel Awards at the American College Of Surgeons:
Scholarship Sponsor: American College Of Surgeons, USA
Scholarship Value: $4,000 each
Number of awards: Not specified
Study level: Fellowship
Host Institution(s): American College Of Surgeons, USA
Eligibility Criteria for Community Surgeons Travel Awards
To qualify for the Community Surgeons Travel Awards at the American College of Surgeons, candidates are recommended to meet the following requirements:
- Candidates must be recent medical school graduates who have completed their surgical residency.
- Applicants must be at least 30 years old but under 50 years old on the day the entire application is submitted.
- The applicant’s anticipated permanent address must be used for the application. Applications will only be processed if candidates have completed all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships) and have worked in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location.
- Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to excellence in surgery, surgical training, and expanding community access to surgical care.
- The College’s online application form must be properly filled out and submitted. The application and any supporting documentation must be in English; a curriculum vitae alone is not sufficient.
- Preference will be given to candidates without surgical fellowships in the US or Canada or previous training.
- Three distinct letters of recommendation from colleagues are required for all applications. One of these letters must be from a local Fellow of the American College of Surgeons or from the department chair of the institution where the applicant has a clinical or academic position. The letter from the chair or fellow should specifically address the applicant’s commitment to excellence in surgery, surgical teaching, and expanding local access to surgical care. Recommenders must provide letters of recommendation.
- The year designated for the Community Surgeon Travel Awards is when they must be used; they are not transferable.
- Awardees are required to submit a written report upon their return to their home country, focusing on the significance of the visit to them personally and any potential positive effects on local patients.
- Reapplying is permitted twice, and each time, a new application and accompanying materials must be submitted.
Application Procedure for Community Surgeons Travel Awards
Candidates should log in or register for the fellowship here. Additional documents and questions should be directed to the Scholarships Administrator at [email protected] or Scholarships Administrator, American College of Surgeons, 633 N. Saint Clair St., Chicago, IL 60611-3295.
The Submission Deadline is: August 18, 2023